PSC Verona Forum

S.208M at Latina

« Older   Newer »
Hendrik van der Veen
view post Posted on 24/11/2014, 00:47

How many Siai Marchetti S.208M are used at Latina by 70 Stormo as a replacement of the SF.260EA ?

What is the future of the SF.260EA ?
Are they so much different then the other SF.260 aircraft assembled by Aermacchi at Venegono ?

regards,
Hendrik

view post Posted on 24/11/2014, 20:28

Historical Member

Group:

I did not understand the question well, I do not think the new SF-260 has been replaced by the old S-208, in any case I am attaching the description of the new 260 EA.

Just joined the Air Force Academy, the cadets are sent to the 70th Wing in Latina to obtain the pilot and navigator license on the piston engine SF.260. The original version SF.260AM, in service since 1976, has been replaced by the most advanced SF.260EA after 235,500 flight hours. The Italian Air Force has achieved 30 SF.260EA aircraft in total. Among the main innovations there is the complete equipment for the instrumental flight and a wide and air-conditioning cockpit. The SF.260EA is a smart low-wing monoplane, built with light alloy with retractable landing gear, and it differs principally from the SIAI SF.260AM for the electric trim, the digital instrumentation, the updated avionics for achieving IFR certifications, a better habitability. The radio communication devices include two VHF/AM and UHF/AM transmitter receivers and an intercom system. Instruments and control panels are equipped with integrated lights which allow a better reading. An easy access to the battery compartment through a panel placed on the side of the fuselage and other more small solutions ensure simpler maintenance operations.
Source Italian Air Force site web.

Kind regards.

Web  Top
view post Posted on 24/11/2014, 22:07

Historical Member

Group:

Thanks to Marco M. I realized that the version EA was grounded for some problems.
Intrigued by the info from your question and I looked on the net and searched for information.
Given the problems of version SF-260EA vertices of AMI have decided to replace some with S-208 operating at Guidonia as towing gliders. Since it is not possible to continue the process with 208 infinity you are thinking to evaluate the pilots with advanced ULM before moving to the version of the turbo prop 260. The debate, however, is still open and there is much confusion.

Web  Top
Hendrik van der Veen
view post Posted on 24/11/2014, 23:28

Thanks Davide,

But are there 4 S.208M at Latina, or does the 70 Stormo fly 10 S.208M aircraft.

Or does it depend on the number of student pilots
Any spotters here from Latina ?

view post Posted on 25/11/2014, 20:33

Historical Member

Group:

I'm sorry but I do not know spotters Latina.
Thanks.

Web  Top
4 replies since 24/11/2014, 00:47   89 views